INSIDER SHOW NOTES
Prison, Pardons & Hoaxes
Order Preet’s book, “Doing Justice,” here.
Preet and SDNY
- An article from the NYT from 3/11/17, “U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara Says He Was Fired After Refusing to Quit”
- An article from the NYT on former New York State Senate majority leader Dean Skelos’ sentencing
- An article from the NYT on Rajat Gupta’s sentencing
- An article in the NYT about Manafort’s sentencing, including Judge Ellis’ comment that Manafort led an “otherwise blameless life”
- An article in Politico reporting on Mueller’s allegation that Manafort engaged in witness tampering
- An article from the Washington Post on Manafort’s upcoming sentencing before Judge Amy Berman Jackson in D.C.
- The United States Sentencing Commission report on “The Basics” of Federal Sentencing.
- The United States Sentencing Commission report from November 2017, “Demographic Differences in Sentencing: An Update to the 2012 Booker report”
- The Legal Information Institute’s definition of consecutive and concurrent prison sentences
Michael Cohen — the pardon issue & lawsuit against Trump Org.
- An article from the NYT about Michael Cohen’s testimony regarding a pardon, and Trump’s reaction
- An article from the WSJ reporting that Cohen directed his lawyer to inquire about a Presidential pardon last year
- Cohen’s complaint filed against the Trump Organization, plus an article from the Washington Post on the lawsuit
- An article from the Washington Post on Cohen’s former joint defense agreement with Trump
- An article from Vox on Michael Cohen’s closing statement from his 3/6 testimony before Congress, including his remarks on 2020
- Jussie Smollett’s indictment
- Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson’s full remarks on Smollett, prior to the official charges
- The Merriam-Webster definition of dispositive