In this bonus material from the special national security focused episode, “The New Threat Matrix,” co-hosts Lisa Monaco and Ken Wainstein discuss the latest news on FISA and the historical context that helps us make sense of the recent Inspector General reports. They also share their views on the recent firing of Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson and what that means for U.S. national security.
Both Lisa and Ken have served at the highest levels of government — at the Justice Department and as presidential advisors on matters of homeland security and counterterrorism. Lisa served under President Barack Obama, and Ken under President George W. Bush. They also both served as Chief of Staff to then-FBI Director Robert Mueller.
Lisa Monaco, O’Melveny
Ken Wainstein, Davis Polk
- Lisa & Ken’s first podcast conversation: Stay Tuned National Security Special, 2/4/20
- Special episode of CAFE Insider, featuring Lisa Monaco: Extraordinary Times, 3/17/20
- Lisa Monaco joined Preet on Stay Tuned to help answer listener questions, 6/21/18
- Lisa Monaco shares the story of her career in her first appearance on Stay Tuned: Behind Closed Doors: Advising Obama & Mueller, 9/28/17
- Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act documents, fas.org
- “Review of Four FISA Applications and Other Aspects of the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane Investigation,” Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Justice, 12/9/2019
- “Management Advisory Memorandum for the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation Regarding the Execution of Woods Procedures for Applications Filed with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court Relating to U.S. Persons,” Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Justice, 3/30/2020