Aswath Damodaran is a Professor of Finance at New York University Stern School of Business. Known widely as the “Dean of Valuation,” Damodaran is an expert on how to value a company and determine why some thrive while others fail. He joins Preet to discuss similarities between the human and corporate life cycle, why Amazon has prospered over the last two decades, and how to become a better investor.
Plus, can the Democrats combat the onslaught of House investigations coming their way? And what does the appointment of special counsel Jack Smith mean for the DOJ’s investigations of Donald Trump?
Don’t miss the Insider bonus, where Preet and Damodaran discuss why he prefers to remain a teacher rather than start his own business and why the acquisition of Kraft Heinz by Warren Buffett and private equity firm 3G Capital has not been a success. To listen, try the membership for just $1 for one month: cafe.com/insider.
Tweet your questions to @PreetBharara with hashtag #askpreet, email us at email@example.com, or call 669-247-7338 to leave a voicemail.
Stay Tuned with Preet is brought to you by CAFE and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Executive Producer: Tamara Sepper; Senior Editorial Producer: Adam Waller; Technical Director: David Tatasciore; Audio Producer: Matthew Billy; Editorial Producers: Noa Azulai, Sam Ozer-Staton.
REFERENCES & SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS
- “Trump rips into new ‘compromised’ special counsel with a ‘soft name,’” Axios, 11/27/22
- “Turning Point for Garland as Justice Dept. Grapples With Trump Inquiries,” NYT, 11/28/22
- Aswath Damodaran’s website and Youtube channel
- “Why Moviepass Failed,” The Verge, 9/19/19
- “Amazon boss Jeff Bezos buys Washington Post for $250m,” BBC, 7/6/13
- “Everything you need to know about how a Reddit group blew up GameStop’s stock,” CNN, 1/28/21
- “Yahoo’s ‘seemingly permanent decline’: is this the end for the once-mighty firm?” The Guardian, 12/3/15
- “Amazon Prime: Bigger, More Powerful, More Profitable than Anyone Imagined,” Time, 3/18/13
- “Bob Iger lays out his priorities for Disney as he returns as CEO,” CNN, 11/28/22
- “Amazon Has a Reported Deal to Buy Parent of Diapers.com, NYT, 11/7/10
- “E-scooter startup Lime shuts in 12 markets, lays off around 100,” Axios, 6/9/20