A few weeks before Al Bruno was murdered, a police informant in Springfield went missing. With no leads, the case went cold. But as mob loyalties waver, authorities figure out what happened to Gary Westerman seven years later, with big ramifications for the Al Bruno case.
For more untold stories from the Springfield Mafia and exclusive interviews that explore how law enforcement fights organized crime, head to cafe.com/mob and become a member of CAFE Insider for 40% off the initial annual membership price. You’ll learn about RICO, forensics, trial strategy and more from the people who’ve done it.
Email us your questions, comments, and reactions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Up Against the Mob is brought to you by CAFE and the Vox Media Podcast Network. Hosted by @eliehonig. Follow us on Twitter.
Check out other CAFE podcasts: Now & Then and Stay Tuned with Preet.
Executive producers: Tamara Sepper, Art Chung. Senior producer and writer: Matthew Billy. Technical director: David Tatasciore. Producers: Adam Waller, Noa Azulai. Editor: Isaac Kestenbaum. Story consultant: Lissa Soep. Original score composed by Nat Weiner.
REFERENCES & SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS
- Indictment of Anthony Arillotta, Southern District of New York
- “Alleged mobster shot to death at social club,” South Coast Today, 11/24/2003
- “Police search Agawam property, possibly for remains of ex-convict Gary Westerman of Springfield,” MassLive, 4/6/2010
- “Body found in Agawam confirmed as that of Gary Westerman, organized crime member,” MassLive, 6/2/2010
- “Manhattan U.S. Attorney Files Additional Charges Against Former Acting Boss of Genovese Organized Crime Family and Four Others,” FBI, 7/20/2010
- Stephanie Barry, MassLive