Few people know more about Vladimir Putin — and his financial schemes — than Bill Browder. Browder, an investor and a political activist, is the architect of the Magnitsky Act, which allows the US government to sanction foreign nationals who have perpetrated human rights abuses. He joins Preet to discuss his new book, Freezing Order: A True Story of Russian Money Laundering, State-Sponsored Murder, and Surviving Vladimir Putin’s Wrath.
Plus, the federal case against the Brooklyn subway shooter, the utility of the Jan. 6 Committee’s referrals to DOJ, and a civics lesson on the US court system.
In the Insider bonus, Browder tells Preet what he really thinks about lawyers. To listen, try the membership for just $1 for one month: cafe.com/insider.
Tweet your questions to @PreetBharara with hashtag #askpreet, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 669-247-7338 to leave a voicemail.
Stay Tuned with Preet is brought to you by CAFE and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Executive Producer: Tamara Sepper; Senior Editorial Producer: Adam Waller; Technical Director: David Tatasciore; Audio Producer: Matthew Billy; Editorial Producers: Noa Azulai, Sam Ozer-Staton.
REFERENCES & SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS
- Vote for Stay Tuned with Preet, Webby Awards
- “The Chauvin Prosecutors (with Jerry Blackwell and Steve Schleicher),” Stay Tuned with Preet, 5/6/21
- Attend Preet’s live conversation with New York City mayor Eric Adams.
- 18 U.S. Code §1992 – Terrorist attacks and other violence against railroad carriers and against mass transportation systems on land, on water, or through the air
- United States v. Frank James, U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, complaint, 4/13/22
- “Frank James Charged in Brooklyn Mass Shooting on New York Subway,” DOJ, 4/13/22
- “What to know about the federal crime Frank James is charged with,” NYT, 4/13/22
- Preet’s first Stay Tuned interview with Bill Browder, 10/26/17
- Preet’s second Stay Tuned interview with Bill Browder, 8/2/18
- Bill Browder’s book, Freezing Order, Simon & Schuster
- “This Is An Organized Crime Story: Putin Critic Bill Browder’s New Book On Corruption In Russia Finds New Relevance,” Vanity Fair, 4/14/22
- “Mikhail Khodorkovsky on how to deal with the ‘bandit’ in the Kremlin,” Economist, 3/19/22
- “In a break with the past, U.S. is using intel to fight an info war with Russia, even when the intel isn’t rock solid,” NBC News, 3/6/22
- CNN asks Russians what they think about Putin’s war, 3/4/22
- “The Magnitsky Act, Explained,” WaPo, 6/14/17
- “Boris Nemtsov: Murdered Putin rival ‘tailed’ by agent linked to FSB hit squad,” BBC News, 3/28/22
- “Vladimir Kara-Murza from jail: Russia will be free. I’ve never been so sure.” WaPo, 4/15/22
- “The History of the Honey Trap,” Foreign Policy, 3/12/10
- Steve Biko film Cry Freedom, IMDB