In this episode of Cyber Space, John Carlin is joined by Jeanette Manfra, the former assistant director for cybersecurity at the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA). They discuss Manfra’s time serving in Iraq, how she got into cybersecurity, and her new role as Director of Government Security and Compliance at Google Cloud.
Cyber Space is the newest podcast for members of CAFE Insider. Every other Friday, John Carlin, who led the Justice Department’s National Security Division, explores issues at the intersection of technology, policy, and law with leaders who’ve made an impact in the world of cybersecurity.
Cyber Space is produced by CAFE Studios.
Executive Producer: Tamara Sepper; Senior Editorial Producer: Adam Waller; Audio Producer: Nat Weiner; Editorial Producers: Noa Azulai, David Kurlander, Sam Ozer-Staton.
Cyber Space is produced in association with Brooklyn Law School’s BLIP clinic. Special thanks to Amanda Kadish, Isabel Agosto, Jaqueline Green and Motty Rivkin.
REFERENCES & SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
- Allen Kim, “Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard,” CNN, 6/26/2019
- “US Forces Shift Role in Iraq to Stabilization of Country,” Voice of America, 4/16/2003
- Shaun Waterman, “DHS: We Won Cyber Turf Wars Under Obama,” Cyberscoop, 1/19/2017
- “DHS Statement on the Issuance of Binding Operational Directive 17-01,” DHS.gov, 9/13/2017
- Derek B. Johnson, “More detail on why DHS banned Kaspersky,” FCW, 4/13/2018
- Matthew Rosenberg and Ron Nixon, “Kaspersky Lab Antivirus Software Is Ordered Off U.S. Government Computers,” New York Times, 9/13/2017
THE STATE OF CYBERDEFENSE
- Thomas Bossert, “I Was the Homeland Security Adviser to Trump. We’re Being Hacked,” New York Times, 12/16/2020
- Joseph Menn, “Suspected Russian hacking spree extended beyond SolarWinds users,” Reuters, 12/17/2020
- William Turton and Kartikay Mehrotra, “FireEye Discovered SolarWinds Breach While Probing Own Hack,” Bloomberg, 12/14/2020
THE PRIVATE SECTOR
- Jeanette Manfra, “‘Gov Clouds’ During COVID-19: The End of the Digital Fortress Era,” NextGov, 6/15/2020
- Anthony Spadafora, “Google Cloud is majorly upping its security game,” Tech Radar, 12/14/2020
- Neil Jenkins, “CTA Members Respond to SolarWinds Incident,” Cyber Threat Alliance, 12/15/2020
- Frederic Lardinois, “Google Cloud launches Assured Workloads for Government, its version of a government cloud,” TechCrunch, 7/14/2020
- Josephine Wolff, “Cybersecurity Experts Are Leaving the Federal Government. That’s a Problem,” New York Times, 12/19/2020
- Eric Geller and Natasha Bertrand, “Top cyber official expecting to be fired as White House frustrations hit agency protecting elections,” Politico, 11/12/2020
- Patrick Tucker, “The Firing of Chris Krebs Is What an Attack On Democracy Looks Like,” Defense One, 11/17/2020